Would you dare call a meeting? ...

If you want to waste time, call a meeting. If you are desperate to waste even more time form a committee. Probably two of the most unproductive processes ever created by organisations in the pursuit of administration.

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t actually dislike meetings … I hate them as often they turn into a time wasting affair where the greatest generator of hot air successfully consumes the greatest amount of time.

Then some I hear saying - I recall you calling a meeting for X? Indeed and how often do I call meetings - as seldom as possible and normally to get a load of crap out of the way. With all of this in mind, I have decided that we should have some principles by anyone dense enough to want a meeting:
  1. If you call a face-to-face meeting, your department/organisation should foot the bill - to the tune of £1.00 per minute of the meeting per person attending. If it's online, a conference call or something inanely similar - the rate drops to £0.99 as you are in all likelihood still going to waste my time.
  2. Ok - now that you have understood point 1, do not call the meeting if it is:
    1. To enable you, are you looking to get permission?
    2. An opportunity for you to wave your little bits at us, as we are not interested.
    3. Fulfil a process that could have been as easily accomplished in a dark cupboard
    4. To give notices, that is what toilet walls are for.
    5. To get reports from everyone - see point 4, this works both ways
  3. If you really must do it, you are definitely committed to having a meeting. You must:
    1. Stick to the agenda
    2. Avoid the any other business as that shows bad planning by others and lets the village/department idiot have their say regarding the graffiti in the toilets
  4. Timeout rules must be applied - ideally ten minutes before the end of the meeting someone should ring a little bell. At five minutes - a bull horn. At zero, the organiser of the meeting should punch whoever is talking - if it is themselves, everyone else is entitled to give them a single slap (I know this is wishful thinking, but nice nonetheless)

Now you have seen this - would you like to meet and discuss what I have shared?

Credit has to go to @Catherine_C for prompting this train of thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, what do you think about simulation ...

Packet Tracer using Wineskin Winery ...

The Pascal debate ...