Motivation ...

Occasionally I am aware that some of the souls I deal with mistake my motives. Often mistaking what I do for duty that comes with my role(s) or as a subordinate responding to an edict from some senior member of my organisation. 

The reality is; that I do many things because it is the right thing to do and often I see the longer term implications. There are many players out there who claim to be working in the interests of computing and IT education. I have noticed a considerable number jump on some common band wagons. Good for them, That is the way the game is played. But alas, the bread and butter reality is that many students need the accreditation via certifications or some form of academic/vocational qualification that will get their foot in the door. Or more often trade their experience for a form of recognition.

But; I think that in spite of collecting a group of souls together three years ago to warn them about the impending issues (back then). The realities are hitting home for many schools, colleges and training providers. 

Less funding is one issue, but the regulatory and interventionist nature of the current educational arena is making this space very unattractive for educators and therefore students. While industry is saying one thing, government is believing that all is hunky dory. Already there is a down sizing of investment in some key vocational areas and I am sure that this will continue. While FE colleges are being hammered by increasing expectations and the inspection regime. Worsened by many of these organisations having ineffectual management.

Shit time to be a young person me thinks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK