Like me, please like me ...

Have you noticed the spate of 'like me' photos on social media. It was ok when cute offspring hold up a hand written card with a message about a million likes and a puppy. But when a 30 something male is desperate to get loads of likes when they want to see a football team, it becomes cynical. Or colleagues asking for likes on LinkedIn for some hapless soul to abseil down a tall thing.

So, to keep in with the trend, please DO NOT like me. If I find that you are liking me because you know how to click on a button that says 'like'. Don't, even better please leave me alone. If you like what I have to say, like me on some intellectual terms, not becuase I have asked you to.

I wonder if we are facing a new trend of social acceptability, where you have not 'made it' unless you are liked or followed. If so, I have to ask if it is Beiber or Gaga, if this is meaningful to you, maybe I don't want to know you (anymore).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...