Getting that foot on the ladder ...

Today, whilst waiting for my wife at a local well known coffee retailer, I was approached by one of the baristas. Spotting that I had one of my fave Ubuntu teeshirts, he came and asked who I worked for.

Happy to share, he described that having graduated from a local university he has been hunting for work in programming. In a world desperate for programmers, he is caught in the infamous catch 22 skills gap. He has the academic experience, has a BSc, also a MSc, but no commercial experience.

Caught in a pool where there are many with the same skills, caught in a trap where employers bemoan the shortages yet cannot escape their own self-imposed traps. 

This soul was keen for anything, for any experience, for an internship; whilst I have personal reservations about the internship culture, I sympathise with his desire to do anything. 

After all he is holding down a job, serving coffee for a living, seems very personable and could be worth a punt. I cannot speak to his technical level, but then can we about anyone we first meet.

So, if anyone reading this blog knows of an opportunity, I know a barista very willing to give it a go.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK