Ventilation of ones private spleen ....

Being a bit “mutton jeff”, also known as deaf or hard of hearing; brings many entertaining challenges. To set the record straight:


  • I don’t suffer from hearing loss, you can’t lose something you never had
  • Yes, I can hear you, but not always
  • It does have a scientific name, apparently its unilateral sensorineural hearing loss (not that I personally agree with the last part of the title)
  • Noisy environments are very difficult
  • I do struggle with some accents if you are quiet or not clear in your speech, I am NOT a racist white man, I simply cannot hear you
  • Phone calls are often hard work
  • Bluetooth headsets, forget it, they don’t work for me
  • No I cannot lip read
  • Yes I do get tinnitus, for me it’s a high pitch squeal and it is an agonizing thirty seconds.
  • Stereo headphones are a nightmare
  • With age and natural loss of hearing, it is slowly getting worse - I am already losing upper frequency range.
  • I just love it when someone approaches me on my deaf side and speaks to me, especially in a seated environment; the neck ache is enjoyable as well as the opportunity to ‘ignore’ you?
  • For all those who have declared that I have selective hearing, I do feel that you may be suffering from selective ignorance.
Rant over, most of the time, it's part of life. I don’t notice what I have (or have not) and am seldom bothered by the attitudes of others (entertained and amused maybe). Occasionally it does get to me, especially when I am trying to help someone and they decide to use my hearing as a critical observation of my capability (then they wonder why I become less helpful, strange but true).

I go for hearing tests every couple of years, because of the type of disability; the hearing aid available is expensive and is not guaranteed to work (>£2500 for a device that may not add any advantage and >£5000 for another). Whilst the UK has a national health system and hearing aids are included, my category of hearing does not seem to be included in my primary care trust, principally as I can still hear and still relatively young (in this context, I am young!).

Looking at the statistics, I belong to a group that is approximately 1:1200 per population or slightly less than 0.1%. Now you can see why many are not supported. Having it since birth, I would guess that I am less of a priority than someone who has recently acquired this condition through illness or trauma.

So, if you every get to meet me and I ask you to repeat something or seem like I am ignoring you, its ok, don’t worry, it is personal.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, what do you think about simulation ...

Packet Tracer using Wineskin Winery ...

The Pascal debate ...