Disruption ... the story so far ...

Yesterday, I explored how disruption is my thing - when something isn't right or needs fixing I am not a go get permission kinda person. More a go fix or tell it to 'eff off' kinda guy. I appreciate that it does not always go down well - however, my motivations are (I like to believe) based on reasoned intentions.

So ... I have disrupted myself. Having set in motion a mass free CCNA1 instructor training programme based on a modest funding resource. I predicted 100 sign-ons, knew I would get around 200 and today I have over 700!!!

While the Open University is used to scalable delivery - this is by far the largest accomplishment in this domain to date. Most instructor training academies will reach around 20 in one go - this is also good, however, maybe we have underestimated the opportunity.

There are naysayers concerned that we are stealing business - while on paper, this is true. They would have never seen sight nor sound of any of these participants as many cost models exclude participation.

Even our modest model has restrictions - an accountant would balk at the notion that we have just given away £210,000 of unobtainable business for $3500. Taking a peek at the fees from another ASC, they would have charged £350,000.

So - why are we disinterested in the income. Well ... we are not disinterested at all. However, the development of teachers with skills in network engineering has become stagnant in many education systems. Bound by old ideas, convention and a changing zeitgeist.

Instead - by stimulating and rethinking the model, our intention is to offer suitable development for the entire community. Creating opportunities for the OU and others who work with us.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK