Doughnuts ...

Often I wonder how I managed to get away with some of the punishments I used to inflict on the students I used to teach. Intolerant of lateness in oneself as well as others, I would rather be early than considered tardy. Age has not improved this ideal, still putting my watch a few minutes ahead in a futile attempt to control time.

Nevertheless discipline was important, as was timekeeping. If one was to endure inspection, we had to have a class 'prompt' and active by the magic minute or your grading was on a downward spiral.

To overcome this you need to create a culture form the outset. Do not be late, especially for Andrew. I could accept 5 minutes at 9am as the local public transport was erratic. But any other lesson (when they were all on campus), I could not envisage any reason apart from divine intervention that could provide an adequate excuse.

So, when some hapless soul made the mistake of being late. I would have to act, punishment was the required option. Letting all students benefit from the experience ensured that the crowd remained on my side.

With a well known supermarket chain five minutes away ... the solution was simple ... get them to buy donuts for the entire group. But run and be back in five minutes.

Eventually one personally sickened of donuts. But the punishment did work and made the students think twice about being late and repeating the offence.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK