Mailing List Pedantry ...

Having had years of practice at becoming a #1 pedant there are times when the pedantry of others reaches levels I have yet to aspire.

I do use mailing lists, partly to get the internet to come to me, partly to see what is going on in some specific domains. You get a mixture of sensible and inane posts - yet occasionally something someone posts captures the imagination of the pedants.

Currently my fave is a debate regarding the differences between asynchronous and synchronous when replicating the class room experience. While tempted to add my pedantic pennyworth into the fray, the community is doing such a great job, I only need to sit back and marvel.

In a similar vein, my university now has two social media channels for staff - the sheer excitement a couple of threads have engendered make me realise why I never engaged with the such like in the past. Our new VC has introduced this and in some respects encouraged it, so the masses have all flocked to join in and discover the pedantic nature of some colleagues.

I do feel that I need to do better, improve my pedantic outlook - develop this skill and hone my overall discipline. In many ways, these forums have spotlighted my lack of commitment and sheer tardiness.

Bad pedant ...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK