21.5 years fatherhood experience and still learning ...

A wise friend once shared ... as parents we are amateurs, our children do a great job of helping us to bring them up. Being a Father is clearly no exception.

I cannot recall my first fathers day with Jeremy, it would have been in 1993. He would have been nine months old. Nor with Victoria, this would have been 1996 (which was a very challenging year). But what I do know is that being a father has not been a default skill, learning as one goes along.

Having never had a role model I could refer to with pride. You have to make it up as you go along and decide on what kind of father you would like to become. There is no rule book nor manual, you go for it and hope that within an eighteen year window you may get something right.

Both of my children are now adults with whom I like to think that I get on quite well. Naturally they may have a very different perspective. But as they try out adulthood, I know that I am still learning.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK