So my hearing is getting a little worse ...

Had a nice time with the hearing technician at Specsavers. A pleasant young soul who was genuinely surprised to see someone my age there.

It wasn't a surprise to discover what I already knew; that my upper range hearing is on the way out. In an interesting experience a few weeks ago, some friends were showing me how teens use dog whistle 'ring tones' to avoid the attention of their teachers being drawn to their smart phone ring/text/alert tones.

Playing with this app, we all quickly discovered that I couldn't hear the same frequencies that other aged souls could.

For most souls, this would happen when you are older. But for me, I already have monaural hearing loss. In plain terms, my right ear has never worked. What this means, is that having one ear doing the work of two, it has to endure more relative wear/tear as it is working for both.

So, range is out, which saddens me as I like some of the interesting synth sounds of prog rock band Emerson Lake and Palmer.

I am at the stage where I need to have it checked annually, its not enough to warrant a hearing aid yet, but enough to require monitoring.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK