A wordy moment ...

Don’t you love it when a new word appears unexpectedly in your vocabulary, if you don’t get the same thrill as I, when this prospect occurs, then best click now onto another website.
 
Words are powerful little worms that burrow themselves into your mind they express concepts, ideas, feelings and much more. One turn of one little word to a thought can charge the thoughts of many.
 
So powerful, yet sublime.
 
Every time I encounter a new word I will look it up, think about it and consider if it is something I can use anytime. Often when I look up the word, I learn more about the subject matter I am reading. Here, often unintentionally the original author (or orator) has embedded additional meaning into their communication.
 
Even more fascinating is when one learns the multitude of meanings a word hides as well as the original meaning often lost to current thought. Making the word itself a more fascinating tool often telling its own tale.
 
Once someone joked to an audience I was part of that they could think of nothing more boring than reading a dictionary. Personally I would put this on my list of interesting things to do, especially dictionaries of obscure words and their etymological origins.
 
Therefore I would suggest that you may need to be wary of the ilk that enjoy a word before bedtime, they are tuning their wit and are wry with their words and may know what they mean.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK