Let the lesson plan be the lesson, is that the plan?

I have never been a fan of lesson plans, apart from the tedium of filling the damn things in, they never reflect the reality of a real lesson. Or at least they never reflect the reality of the lessons I teach.

So if this means that I am a sub-standard educator, I will not disagree.

Experience has presented me with the ability to gauge when a lesson is working, as well as when it is not, experience has also given me the resources to plan a lesson in a shorter more suitable format that:

  • Makes the lesson more entertaining
  • Adapts to the learners during the session
  • Ensures that they are getting an achievable experience, but not diluted by process and paperwork

When writing some books, the editors get excited by lesson plans (they cant understand why I don’t), they say that teachers want these and that they are a deal breaker (are they, really?). I think some educators are so overwhelmed by the lesson planning process, that they grapple for anything that may help.

Recently someone shared with me that their centre has a lesson plan that stretches for six pages per session.

I do not need to describe the joy I expressed at hearing this exciting news.

Schemes of work, they are useful, they track the syllabus, lesson plans, should be short, on a single sheet, or less and give the teacher a cue to what they are delivering. More is too much, in fact they could link in with the scheme of work, its not difficult, and become an extension of the long term plan.

Educators do know what they are doing, honest, really, they do, giving them too much paperwork does not help the learners, letting them (the educator) manage their own style in lessons may improve the teaching process and the results.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...