Can all opportunities be exciting ...

My inner cynic and nascent grumpy old man often sees certain job advertisements through a lens of 'so what'. The one that offers the 'exciting opportunity', is only seeking those who are 'passionate' and 'motivated', especially if they are 'enthusiastic'.

Dear recruiters and job advert copy writers ... STOP IT. You are not recruiting imbeciles, you are asking for traits that everyone wants and has in differing portions. Am I passionate ... yes, am I motivated ... 'of course', can I be enthusiastic ... 'most of the time', so long as you do not expect a sycophant.

While this article is a little dated, it does prove the point I am trying to make. I think it is time that recruiters are ...
  • Realistic
  • Using more interesting adjectives (and probably more honest ones as well).

So, can all opportunities be exciting - I doubt it, however some are always more interesting than others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK