Email vs Voice ...

The asynchronous nature of my life means that often calls are less convenient than email. I still value the benefit of a phone conversation, but often these need to be agreed in advance as calling me when it works for you rarely does for me, and of course vice versa.

I like email ... you can think about your response and prepare for any conversation, rather than entering it cold. I do get a considerable tumult of electronic communication. But find that rules on my email client makes that burden somewhat easier.

But ... the same goes ... simply emailing me with a demand and deadline that works for you tends not to work either. Especially if it is not something that has not had prior agreement.

So, on the whole I prefer email ... liking voice to be a thing that is planned. I know that this is not always the case and will try and answer calls that I get. But often sitting in meetings, I can equally chat to you via email, able to handle multiple conversational threads at the same time.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK