Mothers day post ...

Interesting thought (for me), is we often have much to thank our mums for. For me, it was the ZX81 she bought for us (my brother, sister and I) in the early 80's. There were already better computers at that time and it wasn't a trivial expense in this single parent family.

Now that was the sudden key that unlocked my geek, maybe as the eldest I dominated the toy. I read the manual from end to end and started buying the monthly Sinclair magazines. Quickly learning the basics of programming from this little plastic wedge with 1K of RAM.

The enthusiasm of my brother and I soon motivated us to save. We acquired a paper round, one of those weekly free papers and started the process of saving our pennies to get a ZX Spectrum and it had to be the 48K version.

Having the ZX81, gave us something to work on, while we put those pennies aside for this silicon joy. Eventually getting that computer as I commenced my O Level in Computer Studies.

If it was not for my mothers investment, I wouldn't be in the career I now enjoy.

Hope she gets the flowers I sent her today ... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK