My unsubstantiated theory on trivial questionnaires ...

I do them, you may have done them, many are doing them. Yes it is the often trivial questionnaires on social media sites. Encouraging hapless, marginally bored individuals to measure themselves against a multitude of measures. That seem to be very popular on my social media stream.

They come in many guises ...

  • How northern/southern are you?
  • What foods have you consumed?
  • How 19xx's are you?
  • What is your mental age.

Ironically, in my social media circles I would like to think that I have quite a diverse cross section of individuals. Equally interesting is that participation happens in all 'groups'. Maybe the idea that you have succumbed to social media means that by default you are also susceptible to these questionnaires?

Yes, that includes me.

To put value in these questionnaires is dubious at best. My wife who is comes from the almost northerly part of Englandshire scored less than me. I come from the south west!!! Go figure? To be fair, I could work out most of the questions and those that were more 'up north'.

So, why the post. A question and one to ponder, what is the actual perceptual and social value in engaging with these questionnaires and how could they be used to measure the values and perceptions of large communities (if this is not already happening).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK