Bring your own security policy ...


Today I have declared it as … bring your own security policy day. Not having to manage networks of any note any more, I don’t need to worry anymore about who does what on my corporate system. In fact I worked at a time when there were considerably fewer policies.

Now trying to remember if we ever had any (or many).

So, what policy policies do you have on bringing your own security policy to work. Is it you laptop security policy, your tablet device, eBook or smart(ish)phone, all of these need something to describe how you may use them for work.

Hell, what happened before, does the world become emotional if you use your own car for work? Is there a security need that must be addressed here? Or how many of us have occasionally (or often) used our phone for work … in which case if I accidentally bring my own pencil and use it for work, will I be in breach of an information security policy, as I may not have used a corporately approved device.

This all could become very confusing.

I do think companies and educators need to embrace their employees (and students) desire to use their own toys.  Not in some blind mindless fashion, but in a way that rolls out a little responsibility with a little leeway. You never know by listening to the plebs instead of the control fetished teccies, you could get better results (aka productivity).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...